Your yoga session will go a lot easier if you have a good yoga mat to exercise on. There are quite a few brands to choose from and so selection can be quite confusing. There are quite a few things to be considered when choosing a yoga mat so that you can get the most from your exercise sessions. While you do need to keep your budget in mind when making a purchase, it is important to consider the following factors as well:
• Thickness of the mat: A thin mat is easy to roll up and carry around and it doesn’t take up a lot of space. However, it can be quite uncomfortable to exercise on such a mat because it provides very little cushioning. A think mat is the best option if one want to exercise painlessly.
• Gripping ability: Always choose a mat that has a surface with high traction that can prevent sliding. Keep in mind that you can get quite sweaty during exercise. Also, some mats have a tendency of sliding on the floor.
• Size: If you are on the larger size then you definitely need a mat that is a couple of inches wider and longer than other mats so that you can exercise comfortably on it.
• Durability: Mats made of PVC tend to last for very long without tearing or disintegrating even if you use them often. Cork and natural rubber mats, while being of natural substances, tend to not last for very long.
• Non-allergenic: If you are prone to allergies then you should try out a latex mat before actually purchasing it since you might be allergic to the material. On the other hand, PVC and cork mats rarely result in allergic reactions.
• Sustainability: If you are very particular about using products made from natural materials then natural rubber or cork mats will be your options. However, you do have to be aware of the fact that they do not last very long and that natural rubber has a very strong smell that rarely goes away.
As you can see, you have to take a combination of factors into account when choosing a yoga mat to exercise on. While some factors are personal preferences, others offer you value for money and long term usability. However, you do have to remember that you will only be able to practice yoga properly if you have the right mat to stretch out on.